Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Totally re-energized!

Oh my great goodness, what a wonderful event the eclectic tech carnival can be! I am now back to domestic reality and the washing machine is humming in the background. Yesterday I cut my son's hair, put him into a bath and kissed my partner until I fell asleep. It took me two days to get back into the Dutch suburban groove. This morning I finally unpacked my bag as a signum of return.

One of the participants said the last day of the carnival that it was we were all like a bunch of teenagers, playing around. Yes, yes, I agree with this quote. I have met so many beautiful, strong, smart and charming women when learning and teching computer specs (specifications). The eclectic tech carnival was almost radiant with energy in huge masses floating around. New collective projects like /etc 2005 and "server assembling & maintenance" (name yet to be decided) were started. According to evaluations from the participants this year's /etc was a successful event, and everyone is looking forward to it next year. Many organizers view the event from other perspectives as well. It was clear that issues like internal communication and information sharing need to be improved, and that we should look into different schedule dynamics. The overal bottom line though, as I see it, is that the /etc2004 was a success.

Personally I feel totally re-energized and happy. This /etc ment much to me as developer and participant. I have learnt so much about group dynamics, how to moderate role-playing (more about that later in another article), and I feel great support from this particular group of women in becomming an IT professional. Next step is how to learn the Java programming language. I have the book, a teacher, access to Java collectives, three hours per day, and moral and spiritual support from /etc. I estimate that it will take me about six months to learn enough for a first job as IT nerd. Meanwhile I will financially support my family working as a postwomyn for Dutch postal services.

Java, Oracle databases and world of programming, make way for a new female programmer. It is time to reclaim territory and make it into my own. Thank you, women of /etc and Hivos for making this possible!

/me happy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home